Tomato & Basil Bruschetta
If you're looking for an easy, healthy and delicious snack this season, then look no further. Tomato & Basil Bruschetta is a famous Italian appetizer made from very simple and fresh ingredients. It is often made using tomatoes, Garlic and Basil, and finished with a little olive oil and vinegar. I skip the vinegar since I have a very sensitive throat and don't want to risk falling ill at this time.
A lot of variations of toppings are used on Bruschetta but this combination is the most delicious and famous. It should also be served immediately since it makes the bread soggy and looses it's freshness. The flavours are also enhanced by serving this with the right type of bread. I advice Italian bread or french baguette which is how this appetizer is originally served. Though I often use a toasted garlic bread that I get from my local bakery due to ease of deliver, but I feel this topping works great on even a basic sourdough or a multi grain bread too. Lastly, I would also recommend using the most fresh, juicy and ripe tomatoes to enjoy the original flavours of this dish.
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup Basil leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp oregano or mixed herbs
1. Wash and chop the baby tomatoes into equal halves. Keep them aside.
2. Wash the basil leaves in fresh water and chop them finely as well.
3. Now add the olive oil in a big bowl. Throw in the minced garlic along with the cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and give this a good mix.
4. Now add salt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, oregano or mixed herbs and keep giving this a gentle mix for another 2 mins. Let this rest for an hour so that the flavours blend together well.
5. Now add some olive oil on the bread and toast it on a pan until it's crispy and golden brown.
6. Now transfer this topping onto the bread generously using a spoon and garnish it with some oregano or mixed herbs.
7. Serve hot!