Paneer & Spinach Ravioli with Tomato Sauce
Updated: Mar 31, 2020
My honeymoon in Europe was the tip of the iceberg of my love affair with Italian food, and Ravioli in specific. We tried some of the most interesting combinations and possibly the most delicious ones too of this fine dish in Monaco, Milan as well as Paris. Having said that, it was always on my mind to master this dish and recreate it in my kitchen. With the countrywide lockdown and minimal access to kitchen ingredients, I chose to put the existing and most easily available ingredients (most of which are already in your fridge) to good use by making a Ravioli today!
FOR THE RAVIOLI DOUGH 1 cup Semolina 1 cup All Purpose Flour 1 tsp Salt 1 tbsp Olive oil Warm Water, for kneading
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE 5 Tomatoes, blanched 1 tbsp Mixed Herbs
1 tsp Salt 1 tbsp Mint leaves, dried 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder 3 tbsp Olive Oil FOR THE FILLING 1 cup Spinach, chopped & blanched 1 cup Paneer, grated 3/4 cup Bread Crumbs, finely powdered 1 tsp Oregano 1 tsp Salt PROCESS - 1, Combine the salt, all purpose flour, semolina and olive oil to knead it into a semi stiff dough using warm water. Cover it with cling film and let it rest it for 45 minutes.
2. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water and later make a puree of it.
3, Now take a thick bottomed pan on medium flame and add the oil in it. Next, add the Tomato puree in the same along with salt, mixed herbs, black pepper and the dried mint leaves.
4. Let it cook for 12-15 minutes until you notice a semi thick consistency. Keep it aside for use later.
5. Now let's prepare the filling for the ravioli by first blanching the chopped Spinach in boiling water.
6. Mix it with the grated Paneer, bread crumbs, oregano and salt until all ingredients are finely mixed together.
7. Make small balls out of this mixture to be later used as filling.
8. Now let's proceed to preparing the Ravioli by kneading the dough on a flat surface. Roll one half of it into a fine sheet using a rolling pin.
9. Chalk out rounds from the rolled dough using a Ravioli cutter.
10. Using a spoon, fill the ravioli with the paneer and spinach filling. Dab a little water on the edges and fold it by pressing the sides.Repeat this process for the entire dough.
11. Now boil water in a thick bottomed pan and add oil and salt in it. Once the water boils, add the Ravioli in it and cook it for 3-4 minutes. Ensure you turn the sides gently.
12. Add the boiled Ravioli in the Tomato gravy. Mix it well and cook for another 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
13. Transfer it to a plate and serve hot.