Vada might just qualify as one of the most loved dish in South Indian cuisine. It is one of my favorite breakfast options on a lazy weekend!
2 cups Urad Dal
2 tsp Rice Flour
1 tsp salt
1 inch Ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp Asafoetida
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 cup coriander, chopped
30 curry leaves, chopped
1 tbsp Water
SERVINGS: 15 to 16 Vadas/ 5 Servings
1. Clean the Urad daal under running water properly. Soak it in water for 4 hours.
2. In the jar of an electric mixer, add Ginger piece, drained Urad daal and 1 tbsp water. Grind it evenly to a smoothbatter.
3. Now transfer this batter to a large mouthed bowl and add rice flour, salt, cumin seeds, asafoetida, chopped onions, curry leaves, coriander and green chillis.
4. Give this batter a very good mix and ensure its not very runny or watery.
5. Now heat the oil in a frying pan on medium flame. Wet your left palm and take a scoop of the batter onto it using a spoon.
6. Drop your finger of the right hand in water and make a hole in the centre of lemon sized batter.
7. Slide this into the hot oil and let it fry on medium flame
8. Fry it on both sides until it becomes golden brown in color.
9. Transfer it to a plate and dab the extra oil using a tissue.
10. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
10. Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.