Easy Daal Pakwan
Updated: Jun 17
My trips to Jaipur were always made special by having this local delicacy at Tapri House in C Scheme. With a massive craving for that similar taste, I tried to recreate Daal Pakwan at home and it turned out fantastic in the first attempt. It is super easy, and definitely something you should bookmark.
INGREDIENTS: FOR DAAL 1 cup chana daal 1 cup water 2 tbsp ghee 10 pcs curry leaves 1/2 tsp asafoetida 1/2 tsp cumin seeds 2 tbsp coriander leaves 1/4 cup green chillies, finely chopped 1 tsp coriander powder 1 tsp haldi 1 tsp garam masala 1 tsp roasted cumin powder 1 tsp pomegranate powder FOR PAKWAN 1 cup all purpose flour 1 tbsp oil 1 tsp cumin seeds 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 cup milk FOR GARNISHING 1/2 cup green chutney 1 cup tomatoes, chopped 1 cup onions, chopped 1/2 cup green chillies, chopped 1 tbsp chaat masala 1 cup coriander, chopped 3 tbsp Lime juice SERVINGS: 5 PROCESS:
1. Soak the chana daal for 4 hours in a bowl and strain the water later.
2. Add the soaked daal in a pressure cooker along with 1 cup water, salt, turmeric powder and give 2 whistles on medium flame. Allow the steam to escape slowly.
3. Take a thick bottomed pan and add the ghee in it. Throw in the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
4. Add the dried spices, curry leaves, chopped green chillies and coriander along with the cooked chana daal. Cook it on medium flame for 5-7 minutes and keep it aside.
5. Now, take a bowl and add all the pakwan ingredients in it. Knead it into a soft dough gently using hands.
6. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. Roll each ball into a diameter of 6' roughly using a rolling pin.
7. Prick tiny holes in each, and deep fry it in a thick bottomed pan with hot oil on medium flame.
8. Turn it over until it is crispy and light brown in color. Repeat it for the remaining batter and transfer all pakwans on a paper tissue to absorb extra oil. HOW TO SERVE:
1. Reheat the daal and divide it into 6 equal portions. Transfer one each on the top of a pakwan kept on a serving dish.
2. Top it with some green chutney, chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilli and coriander evenly over each pakwan.
3. Garnish with some chaat masala, lime juice and serve hot.